Tuesday, October 2, 2012

When Disneyland is too far... try a new pie crust!

If you could be anywhere in the world right this second, where would you be? My answer to that question has always been Disneyland. I have grown up with a ferocious love of Disneyland that was instilled in me as a tiny tot by my mother. In fact, one of my very first memories is of my dad holding me when I was three years old by the carousel near the Peter Pan ride in Fantasyland. Because Disneyland is about 14 hours by car from Portland, this weekend I found myself in my kitchen making pie. But just like Disneyland, making pie is completely magical, so I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I tried my hand at a new sort of pie crust this time. Still my mom's secret recipe, but this time I used a couple of cookie cutter leaf shapes to cut out the top of my pie crust. Here's a handy how-to guide so that you can do the same!

First things first. You're going to need an apron because making pies is a messy proposition with lots of flour involved. This is one that I made during a crafty phase a few months ago, and I love it.

After you have your apron, roll out the pie dough for the bottom of your tin as normal. Add in the fruit and set it off to the side. Next, roll out the dough for the top of the pie and use your cookie cutter to cut out enough shapes to cover the top of the fruit.
I chose to use fall leaves since I'm smack dab in the middle of my yearly fall obsession. If this was a strawberry rhubarb pie for the fourth of July, I would use stars. Or if it was for Christmas, I would use Christmas trees. But today it's leaves. My boyfriend is the artistic one in our relationship, so he used a chopstick to make a few of the leaves look a bit more realistic to create contrast on the crust.

Once I had all the shapes cut out, I lined them on the top of the pie and then did an egg wash by beating an egg and brushing it over the crust. This will make the crust extra shiny after it's finished baking. To cap it all off, I sprinkled a little bit of sugar over the top before I put it in the oven to bake.

Forty five minutes later, and here's the final product! It's a fun, creative and easy way to give your pie a little extra seasonal flare. And don't forget that you can order a pie kit from me that comes with everything you need to create your own masterpiece. Check out the About Me section of my blog and send me an email. Happy baking!

1 comment:

  1. For you? Of course! Though I'll try my best to convince you to instead come on vacation to Portland so I can see you. You'll be glad to know that my "squash pie" recipe has greatly improved. ;)

    ReplyDelete